Friday, June 20, 2014

Students, are high marks that important?

This is my personal thought about high marks, and I believe this can vary when it comes to what studies are about but I'll speak for more technical studies in my case thats's IT. And I hope it will help some students about thinking if high marks are a must or not.


I write this because I don't think marks are and ever been all about what the student is or how much he/she knows something or how much he/she can use the same knowledge in practice. Some students aim high they want the best of the best marks, that's okay and amazing in fact, actually I applaud for dedicating that time, but for me that means they don't have pretty much any interest in their lives for anything else but to study, and I don't want to sound negative about it or make it sound like that's the bad thing, but I don't see it how otherwise you can or you would want to have only the top marks, especially if you choose to pass some exams again just to get higher and the best mark.

I think I'd literally die if I would only do that. For example, even though my studies are about IT mainly including programing and projecting information systems, I started with design and animation, then video and sound editing and I could never just completely forget about all that and shut my brain off from it and then solely think about programing. I constantly always taught how to integrate them. I always come to an idea of something that can be created or done and many times there is not enough time due to obligation towards university are taking way too much time in order to do something properly. But I still can't resist the need to experiment with tools about design. So obviously I can't have all the time in the world only and nothing else but for studies. As well I like to play guitar as I consider it as sort of a hobby so there have to be time for that as well.

Of course I am not taking away all the time possible from the university so I do everything else but just not university obligations, I wouldn't be at 2 partial exams until the end now if I would. I guess it's the reason why it got me to think now. Because I've been hearing students who say "I did this exam very bad : (.... only 88 out of 100 points :(..." and I don't get it. I had exams where I studied 2 days before them I got 95 points just because I got lucky on the questions on the actual exams. Which makes me think, who gives a mark to a student for a hard work "behind the scenes" ? Because some students, including me as well, for some subjects, studied like few weeks, even a month, before the exam, only to get so lucky on the exam to get the questions you didn't really think were that important...

           


So you write god knows what, and you get about 70 out of 100 points, but hey no one gives a damn for the rest 90% of the subject you actually know...so... you have 70 points friend. Will I go again on the exam to get 90 out of 100 points? Of course not! Because I don't need a mark to tell me how much I actually know about something. But where is the mark for the hard work? I do believe that comes when people actually start to work on the real projects in real surroundings when the marks you had on the university come up to show they don't mean that much and its the life you need to adapt to.

To be honest, all the people I know who actually finished their universities no one ever asked them for the marks they had on the university for the job, no matter what someone might say to you. I do believe some companies especially in IT sector, do hire students with high marks for the image of the company...and I do know some students who look upon those students like "woo : O...I MUST STUDY HURDUR NOW!!!" but I always think "Isn't the world much larger than that hired guy/girl and company itself?" especially if it is about IT. Because you are so close to the internet that there isn't a place nor the location from which you can't work or work for.

Which brings me to say, what about people who are working and studying? For whom the chances of getting high marks are way narrowed? What can guarantee that the person who have to do stuff on that way aren't already doing his studies for a living? Which can result in very high marks or average marks. Does that mean he isn't doing a good job? I would disagree again.

My point or so to say in about all this previously written is that you shouldn't let anything get to you or make you feel down for any reason. In the end the only thing that pays off is hard work and nothing else matters. If you study hard you might get high mark or not, but nothing can take away the things you know, the things you learned through hard work and nothing else. I see that now when I basically have nothing left hard to study of what's left from my studies...I wish I knew this back at the start.

I hope this post was helpful for students who are now going through the same things as I was and if so I'd be glad to hear so!